Would you like to be part of a worldwide scientific experiment that will test the laws of quantum physics? November 30 is your chance! Coordinated by ICFO- The Institute of Photonic Sciences, the BIG Bell Test: worldwide quantum experiments powered by human randomness aims to conduct a series of quantum experiments in labs around the world that, for the first time, will be controlled by human decisions made by volunteers (aka Bellsters), thus testing the laws of quantum physics.
The experiments will run simultaneously on November 30 in twelve different labs around the world. During that day, participants who want to contribute to the initiative will be able to do so through a video game created specifically for the project in which they will have to introduce sequences of 0s and 1s, trying to be as random as possible.
The sequences of 0s and 1s will control the experiments by determining the measurement conditions in each lab. Anyone can participate regardless of their age. To contribute, you need a device with internet connection.
The twelve labs that will be running experiments on November 30 are:
The experiments will test, among other things, the properties of entangled particles.
1. On Nov 30, you can contribute all day long, from 0: 00h (Australia time) to 23: 59hs (Boulder time)
2. You can contribute anywhere- at home, on the bus, on the train, in the park - anywhere where there is an internet connection!
3. To contribute, go to www.thebigbelltest.org
4. Click on the tab Contribute
5. Click on the BIG Bell Quest
6. Register / Sign up (You can sign up right now and start practicing). If you register, on Nov 30 you will be notified as to which laboratory used your sequences of bits for their experiment.
7. Fill in the "+ Profile" in your user profile zone (upper right corner).
8. Try to pass all 6 levels of the BIG Bell Quest. Contribute for at least 10 minutes. Difficulty increases with level.
Note: the more you contribute, the more points you will generate and the higher you will be in the ranking!
9. Optional: Create groups and events with your friends. To create groups, go into your user profile in the Account section (upper right corner). You may create up to 3 groups. Pass the name of the group you created to your friends (e.g. John's group) and tell them to put that name in their profile accounts so that they can participate in your group and compete against you and the rest of your friends.